Thursday, June 16, 2011

Kinda like Mexican food in America?

Wow, there is so much I want to write about today that it's ridiculous, but I know that y'all don't have all day to read this post, so I'll just highlight a few things... Here we go, people.

First off, the other day we had Vietnamese food... yes, Vietnamese food in Thailand. [Question for the Thai's is: Where is the Mexican food? I've been missin' it for sure...] It was a sweet time though for some team bonding with my fellow ministry partners and the other girls who are also focusing on the Faculty of Science (P'Bo, Laura Ruth, and Christine). The food was good... it took a few tries to get the hang of how to eat it, but no worries, when it comes to food, we, Americans, seem to get the hang of things pretty fast!

Our spread of food... they kept bringing out more and more
when we had finished one plate. 

They had chicken wings... I pretended like I was at
Buffalo Wild Wings. Definitely my favorite dish of the night...

We've spent so much time together, we now
share the same brain waves regarding clothing...
I love it though.
The next night, we grabbed a bite to eat at our beloved Night Market and then headed to the Faculty of Science building to meet up with some freshman. They were working on this project called a "Pahn." It is basically a big, flower display that they make to give a girl and a guy professor in order to honor them. It takes forever to make, so it was a really awesome time to sit and talk to some new girls.
The completed "Pahn" (well one of many that
were made that night...)
I ended up meeting two sophomores that I talked to for at least 2 or so hours. It was seriously one of the funniest nights since being here. They both spoke English; however, it wasn't a ton, and since my Thai is a little slacking, it took a long time to communicate, with a lot of laughs in between. I was so moved and encouraged, though, by their actions. Here I am this foreigner who randomly came to their event, plopped down in the middle of them, and asked question after question, and yet, they were so receptive, so willing to try and talk to me and learn about me. They even showed me how to make the things they were making for the "Pahn" in an effort to include me. 

I couldn't help but wonder the whole time if I would react the same way if a foreigner came to Samford and tried to make conversation with me as I was preparing for something like "Rush." Yeah, conviction number 487 since being here, I probably would not show that foreigner the same amount of respect, love, and excitement as these girls showed me. 

My new friends! Mo (L) and Look Mai (R).
So, there it is. A little tiny, itsy bitsy bit of what is going on in Thailand. I honestly wish I could sit down with every single reader and explain to you what the Lord is doing in my heart, in the hearts of the Thais, and in the hearts of every single team member, but I'll guess that'll just have to wait. 

Pray that these types of encounters continue to happen. Pray that the hearts of these Thai students would continued to be opened. Pray that Gospel centered conversations would continue to occur, and praise the Lord for the 2 opportunities that team members have had just this week to share the Gospel of Christ. And lastly, please pray for our team. Pray that the Lord continues to work in each of hearts revealing sin and bringing us up in His likeness. Thank you so very much!

I just had to represent the Nursing School!

[Shout out to my nursing buddies: The Thai's react in awe when I tell them I am a nursing major. I was even called an angel... Friends, it's worth it. The schooling is so worth it! Even the Thai's think so...]

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment