Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Field Trip to the Doctor...

"More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us."  - Romans 5:3-5

Well, as you may have noticed in my last post I asked y'all to pray for health for myself and the team. A little update on that, I ended up going to the doctor (actually the hospital, but before you gasp with horror at the thought of me in a Thai hospital... that is where the doctors are. Clinics are not for Americans... plus this hospital was very nice...) Stomach problems are semi-running rampant through the team, so if you think about it... pray for continued health! [I already feel better than I did the other day... I  know the prayers are workin']

The view from my chair in the waiting room... and yes, that
is a nurse in the hat, skirt, and heels. SO glad our nurses
uniforms = scrubs...

I was in and out in a jiffy... well, it might have been a little faster if I didn't have to talk so slow so the nurse could understand, but all in all, I would give it a 9 out of 10 on the speed scale for an ER. I was given an assortment of medicine... but the best one was the antibiotics [For my nursing buddies/any other medical professional I got some cipro... nice right?]

Meds... with a cute little gift bag!
Come on America!

One of the CO Thai staff opened up our last meeting with these words (my rendition of them.. sorry not exact quote) "This will be one of the hardest summers of your lives.You are going to feel so weak, but in those times you are going to learn how to depend on the Lord in a way never imagined before, so that when you head back to the comforts of home, you will be able to trust in the Lord a completely new way."

The verse I opened this blog with has been one that I seem to keep coming back to, especially these last few days with being sick and wanting nothing more than to be in my plush, comfy house sitting on the couch watching a movie. However, with this tiny, tiny piece of suffering, I am already learning so much. I have learned that I have put so much value on things of comfort that I had been completely blinded to while living in America where I expect to have these items, at. all. times.

So, whether you are in a village in Africa, in the city in America, or in a university in Thailand, the Lord is using every single point of suffering to build you up. To give you endurance. To give you that character so that you know your HOPE belongs in the Lord... Learn how to depend on the Lord in that way you never imagined, so that when the comforts set in, you are able to trust the Lord in a completely new way.

That is my challenge to myself and to you.

Keep praying for health and energy! Also, please pray for my ministry partner P'Fone as she has the task the summer to not only minister to Thai students but to also help out two American gals find their way in Thailand AND attend graduate school....

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment