Tuesday, July 5, 2011

You're the God of this City....


"So it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God, who has mercy." - Romans 9:16

Romans 9 is quite a powerful passage about evangelism. In one sense, I couldn't help but stop and think "why Lord, do you have us going across the world preaching your name when You have already chosen those you will have mercy on?" On the other hand (the one I should be lookin' at), I couldn't help but be consumed with pure joy on being one of the "ones" He has had mercy on and is allowing to preach His name. 

The city of KhonKaen from our hotel room
(that post will come soon, promise)

Ministry has looked different here than I thought when going in. I didn't really have much expectations with this being my first "mission trip" and all (yeah, I know 8 weeks in Thailand, go big huh??). However, I did expect to go deeper each time I was with a student and then maybe, just maybe, get to share my faith in several weeks time. Ha, wow. Little did I know that my "checklist" plan isn't THE plan.

It is truly a blessing, though, to be reminded of Romans 9, especially verse 16 at the top of this page. This whole evangelism thing, well, it's out of my hands. And when I say out of my hands, I mean completely. As we begin our last few weeks here in Thailand, it is a great reminder that every time I ask "what do you like to do?" or "what will you do today?" that it is in God's hands. That it is His will. 

Here is some very encouraging news, though, of how God does know what He is doing even when we are blinded by our own motives. This week one of my teammates has had the privilege, yes, privilege, to help lead 2 girls to Christ (yes, you read that right. It's Tuesday night and already this week 2 girls have come to Christ). One girl, she had met only once before, and the other, she had formed a decent friendship with over the last month. In Thai terms, this is truly unbelievable. To see 2 people come to Christ in this short amount of time is nothing other than a miracle. 

So, I wrote this post to try and give you a picture of ministry here, but more so, try and give you encouragement that wherever you are in the world, whether on a "mission trip" or at home, that it is not by any means, human exertion that can bring people to Christ. That it is God alone that can bring people to himself. And that even though "mission trips" are wonderful, they are not a dream world in which for 2 months I can step in to a different culture, lead a few people to Christ and go home. It requires life on life. It requires them seeing Christ through you. And most importantly, it requires God's mercy upon them. And when these things happen, it's then, and only then that Christ can be received. 

There it is. The nitty gritty. Thank you so much for your prayers. Please pray for Markay and GiGi (the 2 girls) as they are beginning to learn about our sweet Lord. Also, please pray for our team as we are getting worn down. Pray for these last 2 weeks, that we are able to push through barriers and break down walls to truly dig deeper with the students we have made relationships with. And lastly, pray for yourselves, pray that each and every person will know the awesome power of our Lord. That He has given us everything, and more and that it is out of our hands. 

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment